fu-GEN is a charitable theatre company dedicated to the development of professional Asian Canadian theatre artists through the production of new and established works.
Charitable Registration Number: 87467 0300 RR0001
- To produce works of Asian North American playwrights, and foster new works by emerging playwrights.
- To explore and address issues of Asian North American’s societal roles, responsibilities and identity in the past, present and future through our artistic endeavors.
- To build a stronger, intercultural Canadian community by breaking down stereotypes through education and development of a strong cultural artistic base.
- We serve the Asian Canadian theatre artist
- We are dedicated to exploring the underlying Asian Canadian story
- We believe in diversity of practice: using non-traditional space, time, methodology & philosophy
- We are evolving with our artists
accomplishments in brief
- The longest running professional Asian Canadian theatre company in Canada
- Received 19 Dora Mavor Moore Award nominations
- Produced the first-ever International Conference & Festival on Asian Canadian Theatre, GENesis, in 2010
- Ongoing residency and development programs, which have supported over 70 emerging creators in 15 years.
- Produced the 49, a list of plays by women of colour that can be produced tomorrow.
- Regularly advocates for and supports the work of artists of colour in all disciplines
Artistic Director & General Manager
Artistic Director David Yee is a playwright and actor, born and raised in Toronto. A Governor General's Award laureate for English Drama, his work has been produced internationally and at home.
General Manager Laura Paduch is an arts administrator, producer and manager. Laura holds a BFA in Performance Production from Ryerson University, and a BSc in Biology from The University of Western Ontario. She was a 2015 Metcalf Foundation Performing Arts Internship recipient.
Wayne Burns, Studio Coordinator
Jenna Rodgers, Artistic Associate
Andrew Cheng, Associate Dramaturg
Keshia Palm, Reading the 49 Coordinator
Milton Lim, BCAC Mentee
board of directors
Yvette Lam, Chair
Matthew White, Secretary
Derrick Chua, Treasurer
ADVISORY BOARD OF DIRECTORS
David Henry Hwang